Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sous Vide Supreme, Tasty Travails and The Grey Lady

Forgive me from breaking away from the fascinating story of our DC renovation, but something happened last week and yesterday that is very exciting to a food nerd like me.

You see, last week I got a call from Julia Moskin of The NY Times, who wanted to interview me about a new sous vide machine I recently purchased. A while ago, I had seen an ad about the new Sous Vide Supreme becoming available, and in addition to placing an order for one, I started a thread on eGullet at the same time. That's where Julia, one of the Times' best food writers, got my name.

So she called, we spoke, and of course, due to the fact that 90% of my time is being spent in DC with the renovation of our new apartment, I haven't had much of a chance to play with my new toy. She's such a good reporter that she figured that out without me saying it! I was able to drop a cranky bon mot or two (see below), one of which made the final cut, though she didn't mention Tasty Travails. And I figure anytime a food nerd like me can get mentioned in the same article as Thomas Keller, Heston Blumenthal, Joël Robuchon and Ferran Adrià, it's a good day.

Sous Vide Moves From Avant-Garde to the Countertop


“You do have to ask,” said Mitch Weinstein, a moderator on eGullet who was among the first to buy a SousVide Supreme, “if sous vide is so great, how come I have to cook the food again?”

2 comments: