Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Psssst...They're Baaaack

Oh, you know what's back. That first (for us in the northeast, at least) harbinger of spring. Yes, the vegetable that I wrote about last year when I was totally sick of them.

I just happened to be at Eataly yesterday, and there they were, the divas all nice and pretty in their little basket at the front of the produce section. I had been at the Union Square farmer's market on Saturday with Significant Eater, and they were nowhere to be found. Restaurateurs have been tweeting about cooking with them for about a week, but for we mere consumers, nada. Until...

Yay...ramps for shoppers. I greedily snatched up a bunch or two, along with a pound of fresh favas (shhh...they're not local). And tonight, here's what I had to work with...

I figured I'd keep it real simple, so I braised the favas, along with the ramps, in a cup of homemade chicken stock...

Cooked up a portion or two of pasta, and tossed it all together with a big handful of pecorino and parmesan, freshly grated, of course...


And sat down to my first ramp-y meal of the season. I can almost see the end in sight.

Pasta With Ramps and Favas

1 or 2 bunches ramps, cleaned, chopped, greens saved for garnish
1 lb. fresh favas, shelled
1 cup chicken stock
4 T olive oil
2 oz. parmesan, pecorino or both, grated
8 oz. pasta - (rotini, orecchiette, farfalle)
1 T Minced parsley
Salt & Pepper to taste

Bring well-salted water to a boil for pasta. Meanwhile, saute the ramps and favas for a minute or two in hot oil. Add chicken stock, salt and pepper to taste and bring to a simmer. Cover. When pasta is almost al dente, remove it to the pan with the favas. Toss well and add some pasta water if necessary. Off heat, add cheese by handfuls, along with minced parsley and ramp greens. Keep tasting, adding more water and or/cheese till sauce just coats pasta.
Serve, with more freshly grated cheese and pepper. Serves 2.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! So happy the favas are coming in as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i thought somehow you were going to work the mets into this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Judith - they had some nice ones at Eataly yesterday.

    @ Keith - oy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ramps and Favas, two ingredients I have not worked with but will find at the farmers market this weekend. So no steaming of the fava first right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Glamoursurf - Nope, I just took the favas out of the pods and then peeled the beans themselves.

    I don't think you'll find ramps, though - they're an east coast thing.

    ReplyDelete